HB 455 in 2009 is the only vaccine waiver bill that made it out of committee in the last 6 years. It was voted on in the House, was sent to the Senate and killed in committee by chairman Hob Bryan who would not let it come up for a vote.
• The nays (who are still serving) were: Blackmon, Brown (66th), Burnett, Clark, Coleman (29th),Coleman (65th ), Harrison, Hines, Malone, Mims, Scott, Stringer, Upshaw, Wooten,…..absent or not voting: Bounds Holloway, Thomas. Espy voted present.
• Mims is now chairman of the house health committee. He can kill any bill by not bringing it up in committee.
• During this period Reps. Toby Barker and Steve Holland introduced bills to make the medical waiver easier to obtain.
• Senators Gary Jackson and David Jordan introduced philosophical waiver bills that were killed in committee by Hob Bryan. Since nothing regarding vaccines was ever allowed to come up for a vote in the senate health committee, we don't have a voting record for the senate.
• Senator Chris McDaniel and Representative Angela Cockerham introduced mirrored legislation that would give Mississippi a philosophical vaccine exemption/waiver.
• Despite a year and half of HARD lobbying directed at chairman of the health committee, Representative Sam Mims, Mims decidedly trashed our bill without allowing it to be heard in his committee.
• Furthermore, Mims went to Senate chairman of the health committee, Dean Kirby and sub committee chair, Terry Burton letting them know it would be a waste of time for them to take our bill to committee because if and when it crossed back over to him he would trash it, thereby sabotaging any opportunity we had to get dialog and feedback going among the Senators.
• Sam Mims stated that if he brought up our legislation, he felt confident it would pass in his committee and go to the floor where he felt it had a good chance of passing and that "Mississippi is just not ready for that."
graphic source: http://www.msmaonline.com/Docs/MSMA%20Alerts/12_Feb_17_Lifeline.pdf
Does Representative Sam Mims represent us, the parents or does he represent the Mississippi Medical Association and the unelected bureaucrats with tyrannical power over our children in respect to vaccines?